Outdoor activities are an excellent option to spend time with our family and friends. It can be a day of hiking, a picnic, a camping, an afternoon at the beach or a trip to the mountains. All of them are magnificent alternatives to enjoy our leisure and nature.
The cooler backpack is a great companion in all these situations. Thanks to it, you can enjoy a cool drink at any time during your excursion. In addition, due to their design, they have the great advantage that we can carry it on our back and keep our hands free. So, join us on this journey to the best cooler backpack of 2020.
The most important
- A cooler backpack will help us keep our food fresh. One of its great advantages is that it is easier to transport than a conventional portable fridge.
- It is not essential to use cold accumulators with our cooler backpack. However, they will help keep food fresh for longer.
- The ability of the backpack to keep the cold is one of the basic purchase criteria. It will be influenced by aspects such as the quality of the materials or the ambient temperature.
The best cooler backpacks on the market: our recommendations
A walk in nature is a very healthy exercise. It also allows you to stop from time to time and observe your surroundings. During those breaks, a cold drink or fresh fruit will help you recharge your batteries. A cooler backpack is an excellent option to keep your food at a good temperature. Here we show you a section with some of the best models.
- The favorite cooler backpack for online users
- The best leak-proof cooler backpack
- The best cooler backpack with a top opening
- The best cooler backpack in value for money
The favorite cooler backpack for online users
The Campingaz model, with numerous positive evaluations, is one of the great winners among online users . This cooler backpack has a capacity of 14 liters.
It also has dimensions of 42 centimeters high, 31 wide and 13 deep. It would fit, for example, three liter and a half bottles. The Campingaz model is capable of keeping the cold for approximately ten hours. Lastly, it weighs 570 grams.
The best leak-proof cooler backpack
Tourit offers us an interesting leak-proof model. Thanks to its interior design with an insulation foam lining, this cooler backpack will prevent liquids from dripping. It is a very interesting feature in case a drink is spilled or the ice melts.
This model has measures of 41 centimeters high, 30 wide and 18 deep. In addition, its capacity is 22 liters and it weighs 600 grams.
The best cooler backpack with a top opening
The main compartment of the Lifewit Cooler Backpack is designed to allow it to be fully opened. In this way, we can locate the different foods and drinks with great comfort.
Also, the exterior of this model is waterproof, which makes it resistant to splashing rain. When we are not using the backpack, we can fold it easily so that it takes up less space. In addition, it is available in two colors.
The best cooler backpack in value for money
Luncia offers us a really cheap option. This cooler backpack has a capacity of 24 liters. In addition, its dimensions are 40 centimeters high, 31 wide and 20 deep.
The Luncia model incorporates, in addition to the main compartment, a front pocket and two mesh side pockets. It also includes a hook that doubles as a bottle opener and serves to hang keys and other small items.
Shopping guide: What you should know about cooler backpacks
Can I keep ice in my cooler backpack?
It is also important to note that, on some models, the main pocket zipper is not waterproof. Therefore, if we lay down or turn the backpack upside down, the melted ice (or any other liquid) could be spilled. In addition, it is a good idea to drain, from time to time, the water that has accumulated.
What are the advantages of a cooler backpack?
Do cooler packs also keep warm?
Cooler backpacks are designed to isolate the interior from the outside temperature. In this way, they preserve the temperature of the food that we introduce for a variable period of time. This period of time will depend on different circumstances, such as cold and ambient heat. Or, also, of the manufacturing materials of the backpack.Therefore, most refrigerator backpacks also retain the heat of food if we introduce it hot. As they are made of insulating materials, they will prevent heat from escaping and slow down the cooling process. Keep in mind that the time they keep the cold does not necessarily have to be the same time that they keep the heat.
What recommendations should I keep in mind when using a cooler backpack?
A cooler backpack is a very practical complement, since it allows us to keep our food refrigerated and transport it comfortably. However, to get the most out of the model we choose, it is important to take into account certain recommendations for use. Here are the most important ones:
- Refrigerated Food – Make sure to refrigerate food before putting it in the cooler backpack. The backpack is designed to maintain the temperature of food as long as possible, not to chill it. However, if we also introduce ice or cold accumulators, we will be able to lower the temperature of the food. In any case, food and drink will last longer fresh if we put them already cold in the backpack.
- Ice and cold pack – Both ice and cold pack will help keep food fresh for longer. In addition, you can put the ice in the glass of your drink so that it is colder, if you wish.
- Leaks: Before putting loose ice in your backpack, make sure it is designed to be leak-proof. If it isn’t, it could start to drip when the ice starts to melt. In addition, some models recommend not putting the ice directly into the backpack so as not to damage the insulating material inside. Make sure your model allows it. An alternative is to put the ice in another container before putting it in the backpack.
- Humidity: we must be careful with the objects that we put in the backpack. Melting ice or liquid from an improperly closed bottle could make them wet.
- Cold and hot: due to their design, refrigerator backpacks also allow food to be kept warm if we introduce it hot. However, adding hot and cold food at the same time is counterproductive. It is therefore not advisable to mix them.
- Safety: make sure the food is in good condition before eating it. It is also a good idea to always keep the inside of the backpack clean. In addition, it is important to take into account the manufacturer’s specifications and their instructions for use.
Is it essential to use cold accumulators with our cooler backpack?
A cold accumulator (also called a thermal accumulator) is a device usually made of low-density polyethylene. Although it is possible to find them in other colors, they usually have a very characteristic blue hue. There are also flexible models and their interior is usually filled with a eutectic gel.Its operation is very simple. It is placed in the freezer at least two to four hours before use. Then it goes into the cooler backpack. This will help keep refrigerated food cold. Its use is not essential. However, it will keep our food fresh for a longer period of time.
A cooler backpack is a very practical hiking companion. It is also a very simple complement. However, it is important that we take into account certain criteria before deciding on a specific model. We refer to aspects such as the capacity of the backpack or its weight, among others. Here are the most important ones:
- Cold preservation
- Leak proof
The food and drink that we want to take with us on our excursion can be heavy. Therefore, it is important that the refrigerator backpack we choose does not suppose a considerable extra weight. Most of the models reviewed for this guide have an approximate weight of between 500 and 600 grams. Of course, there are models that reach two kilos.
It is therefore important to pay attention to this aspect when we are doubting between different options. Between a backpack of 500 grams and another of 600, we will not notice a big difference. On the other hand, we can get to notice it with one of two kilos. On long hikes, the total weight of our backpack can make a difference.
When choosing a cooler backpack we must make sure that it has resistant finishes. The last thing we want is for the weight of the food to break the seams or the straps unravel. The same goes for zippers: they must also be resistant. In addition, the materials and design will influence the comfort of the backpack.
Some are lined with aluminum, for example. Others, instead, include an insulating foam. It is also important that the part that comes into contact with our back is well insulated. If it is not, the heat that our body gives off could be transferred to the inside of the backpack.
It is common for the manufacturer’s specifications to indicate the number of hours that a cooler backpack can keep cold. It is therefore important to take a look at this information. We can find models that keep food fresh for four hours. Other options, however, arrive at fifteen hours.
Of course, the ideal is that our cooler backpack keeps our food refrigerated as long as possible. As we have already mentioned, the backpack does not cool its contents, but rather prevents it from getting hot. However, its ability to keep the cold will be influenced by certain factors. Here we tell you:
- Ambient temperature: the heat outside the backpack will influence how long the food will stay fresh. On hotter days, food and drink will heat up earlier. In addition, if the sun’s rays fall directly on our backpack, its interior will heat up sooner.
- Food temperature: as we have already mentioned before, it is important to put fresh food in the cooler backpack. The colder they are when you put them in, the longer they will stay fresh inside.
- Thermal accumulators and ice: if we introduce very cold thermal accumulators in the cooler backpack, the food will take longer to heat up. The same happens if we put ice inside the backpack.
- Quality of the backpack: Of course, the materials that the backpack is made of will influence how long it can keep cold. Therefore, as we said in the previous section, it is important that it has good insulating materials.
The capacity of cooler packs is measured in liters. This aspect will include in the amount of food that we can transport in our backpack. There are models with a large capacity, up to thirty liters. Of course, there are models with much less capacity. Consider whether you need a model for long excursions or if it is enough to fit a few bottles of water.
There are many cooler packs that are designed to be leak proof. This feature will prevent the backpack from leaking underneath if any liquid is spilled. If we intend to bring ice inside, this aspect is essential. No matter how good the backpack is, sooner or later the ice will melt and we do not want water to seep outside.
If you are a lover of outdoor activities, the cooler backpack is your ideal companion. Thanks to it, you can take your fresh food wherever your adventure takes you. Are you more beach or mountain? Camping or hiking? No matter what your preferences are, you are sure to appreciate stopping for a cold drink.
Our cooler backpack will help us keep food chilled. Thus, we will prevent it from being damaged by the effect of heat. In addition, its great advantage is that it allows us to keep our hands free by not having to carry a conventional portable fridge. With the backpack on our back, we will be much more comfortable and we will walk lighter.