Camping is not just the dream we had as children. Today it is a passion that awakens crowds. The amount of campsites that have proliferated in Spain and in the world is astonishing, not counting those adventurers who camp on excursions, mountains and various places. No one could go very far, however, without a good family tent. Don’t you think
Unfortunately, in the countryside, on the top of a mountain or on the edge of a lake there are no hotels. If we want to sleep comfortably as a family in the middle of nature, we need spacious and comfortable tents. So, if you are looking for the best way to enjoy your next camping , pay attention to this specialized article.
The most important
- A family tent is a portable shelter that is relatively easily set up to house three or more people during the day or night. It is used more than anything for leisure purposes, that is, for camping on excursions and to have an experience with nature.
- The use of family tents has become very popular since the beginning of the 20th century and today the market offers a huge variety of types depending on structural factors, climatic and manufacturing materials. The most popular model is the igloo, due to its versatility and ease of assembly.
- If you want to buy a good family tent, there are different purchasing criteria that you must take into account. The main one is the use, since a summer, winter or other season model is not the same. You should also consider the strength of the materials, ease of assembly, ventilation, waterproofing, comfort and thermal insulation.
The best family tents: our recommendations
If you have already decided that you want to camp, you just need to find a family tent that will help you live the experience in an unforgettable way. Do you already know what to choose? Taking a look at the market, you will see that there are multiple options to choose from according to profiles and needs. If you have doubts, take advantage of this selection that we have prepared with the best offers.
- The family tent with the fastest assembly
- The family tent with the best ventilation
- The lightest family tent
- The family tent with the largest capacity
The family tent with the fastest assembly
Qeedo is one of the leading brands in family tents. With a capacity to accommodate 5 people, you can set up this practical tent in just 120 seconds thanks to its quick up system .
The water column of this family camping tent is 4000mm, which makes it 100% waterproof. It weighs 13, 60 kg and the linkage is made of steel and fiberglass.
The family tent with the best ventilation
Aktive’s family tent is the Amazon recommended. It is blue and is made of polyester, a material that favors waterproofing and ventilation.
The poles that form the structure are made of fiberglass and measure 6, 9 mm each. Assembly is very easy to learn and takes a few minutes. It measures 205 cm wide and 205 cm long, and 4 adults can enter.
The lightest family tent
Coleman has a great reputation when it comes to family tents and it shows with its Coastline Plus model. It offers ample space for 4 adults and their luggage.
The large PVC (polyvinyl chloride) windows in the front area guarantee good passage of light and ventilation. In total, the tent weighs only 7.2 kg and a bag for transport is included.
The family tent with the largest capacity
This igloo family tent is suitable for 8 people and allows camping during all 4 seasons. It is waterproof thanks to bonding technology and coated polyester materials.
The doors have a ventilation system that allows you to adjust the air flow as desired and the interior pockets are ideal for storing things. It measures 4.6 m long and 2.7 m wide.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Family Tents
What exactly is a family tent?
What material are family tents made of?
Family tents can be made of fabric or certain synthetic materials, such as polyester, which is the most popular today. Currently, the latter are used due to their greater lightness, durability and resistance to climatic elements (water, sun, rain). The poles or rods that accompany the structure of the tent are usually fiberglass or aluminum.These materials can change depending on whether the family tents are winter or summer. This does not mean that they are classified according to season, but according to utility. A tent that we will use in the high mountains is not the same as one that we will install in a family campsite .
What shapes are family tents?
Why is the igloo type family tent the most popular?
Igloo tents are currently the most sold and commercialized on the market. They reached great popularity at the end of the 20th century and in the 21st they have emerged as the most chosen option by users. The reasons are varied: the main thing is that they were the first to combine ease of assembly with the fact that they were ultra-light and portable.In addition, the absence of rods or posts inside make better use of space. More than offering resistance to the wind, it accompanies and absorbs it. In this way, when the blowing stops, the tent recovers its stability by itself. The igloo tent can be in various shapes, such as half pipe or hemisphere. The latter is more resistant and wide.
What are the typical components of a family tent?
If you are thinking about your next family tent, it is convenient for you to get to know the different elements that compose it, since they will be key for a correct assembly. The effectiveness of these structures depends, to a large extent, on their proper installation. While they differ by model, you’ll likely find:
- Poles: Rigid poles, generally used by Canadian tents, to support the greater weight of the tent. They connect with the posts so that the canvas covers all the spaces well.
- Poles or Poles: Flexible rods that are widely used in igloo tents. They connect to the masts (if any) and their strength depends on the material they are made of (typically fiberglass, polyethylene, or aluminum).
- Tarps: The fabrics that give entity to the tents. As we have seen, their materials differ and their appearance dictates the type of tent (igloo, Canadian or tunnel, among others).
- Clips: Many canvases usually have small plastic clips that are attached to the posts to tighten the canvas well.
- Covers: Some canvases have covers sewn inside through which the posts must be passed, from end to end. They also serve to keep the structure taut.
- Stakes: The stakes or stakes are like thick nails that, holding the ends of the canvases that make up the tent, are driven into the ground to ensure stability.
- Roof: Some tents offer an extra tarpaulin, separated from the rest of the tent, in order to protect the house from rain or wind. It must be waterproof.
- Double floor: With a similar purpose to that of the roof, some tents include a tarp that is placed between the ground and the interior floor. It is used to prevent tears, holes or moisture from entering.
What aspects should be considered for the interior of family tents?
What’s the best way to anchor a family tent?
There are two types of pegs most used: those of earth, which are narrower (some made of steel) to make it easy to insert them into hard ground; and those of snow, that are wider so that they have more surface of contact with the snow. The important thing is that, before nailing them, we make sure to properly tension the tarps on their posts or poles.
Nor should we forget the winds. They are ropes that help to tighten the flysheet and the vestibule, preventing the deforming action of the wind. We can find winds with reflective materials to avoid tripping over them when we walk around the store.
Although the manufacturer always includes a type of pegs with the purchase, we can always buy other models separately.
Why is it important to think about the ventilation of family tents?
People naturally radiate heat. On a cold night, even with the tent closed, the mist from our breath can cause condensation that permeates the interior walls and can cause leaks from the ceiling in extreme cases. To solve this problem we must pay careful attention to adequate ventilation.For this, the meshes that allow the exit of the heat that is produced inside the tent are useful: they avoid condensation and prevent the entry of insects. Many of these are included in the tent. Another detail to consider is having two entrances. In this way, the air circulation will be more effective and moisture will not accumulate.
How to know if the family tent is waterproof?
Your next campsite can take a 180 degree turn if you find the right family tent. You already know that the market offers a wide variety of models, but not all of them are suitable for any destination or for any user. With this in mind, we recommend that you consider some purchase criteria before choosing the ideal store for you.
- Weight and portability
It seems naive to have to clarify, but it is not. The first thing to take into account is the number of people you want to fit inside a tent. Typically, igloo models can accommodate up to four people, so if you are thinking of more members, you probably have to think of a Canadian model or another larger one.
The materials of your family tent will be decisive to guarantee its durability. It is important that the fabrics and seams are resistant and impervious to wind and rain, since you will always be out in the open. The most recommended are canvases made of synthetic materials, as well as your posts and rods should be made of polyethylene or fiberglass.
Unless you are an expert in camping, check that the mounting system of your tent is simple and intuitive. In this sense, those of the igloo type are the most recommended, since they have few structural components and it is not necessary to use too many winds or pegs. Of course: if you want to go to the high mountains or the snow they are not the best option.
If you want your experience sleeping in a family tent to be pleasant, make sure there is good ventilation. To achieve this, it is important that you verify that the canvases are, at least in part, made of cotton, and that the store has two entrances so that the air circulates better. The meshes are also recommended components.
Weight and portability
We usually take family tents with us on excursions, campsites or in the mountains. It is natural then that we do not want to have too much weight on us. Check that the model you have chosen does not weigh more than 8 kilograms. In this way, if a cover with a handle is also included in the purchase, the whole kit will be more portable.
Family tents are shelters for camping and spending the night. Nowadays they are enormously popular structures on excursions and campsites on the beach or in the mountains, due to the ease of assembly and the closer experience to nature they entail. There are many types, but the most used are the tents with the shape of a dome or igloo.
The materials of family tents vary according to the utility and the environment where they will be assembled. A tent in a beach campsite is not the same as another to take to the snowy peaks with extreme weather conditions. In both cases, however, care should be taken that the tents are waterproof and ensure good ventilation.