Nowadays, no one has a doubt that traveling by bike is a healthy and efficient option, since it is an economical, ecological and optimal means of transport for health. As if this were not enough, moving by bike saves time since we avoid traffic jams in big cities, what more could you ask for from this vehicle?
But bikes are not only for enjoying the big cities. Mountain bikes (also known as Mountain Bikes or MTB) are off-road bikes. Designed for use on trails, they are ideal for traversing forests and enjoying rocky trails. Thanks to their great functionality, they are among the best sellers today.
The most important
- Within the MTB there are different modalities. The first thing you should do if you have decided to buy a mountain bike is define the style you want to practice. Many of us want an off-road bike.
- One of the biggest mistakes we make when buying our first MTB bike is choosing the wrong size for us. This error will make our experience unsatisfactory. If the bike is too big or too small, we won’t be able to get the best result from our purchase.
- If it is your first mountain bike, it would be better not to look for anything too complex or superior to the use that you are going to give it. It is convenient to check what components it has, so that it is easier for you to make the best purchase decision in relation to the quality-price of your new mountain bike.
The best mountain bikes on the market: our favorites
Next, we show you the best mountain bikes that you can find on the market. In this section you will discover which one is the most suitable for you. In addition, you can also choose characteristics of the bike such as size, type of seat, brakes, frame, suspension or components.
- The best mountain bike for beginners
- The best suspension mountain bike
- The most versatile mountain bike
- Best folding mountain bike
The best mountain bike for beginners
It is a steel mountain bike with a 26-inch frame (“). It is equipped with a Revo Shift rear derailleur, 6-speed friction sprocket and 26 x 1.90 tires. The pedals are New Star made of resin. hubs (elements where the axle rests and rotates) are made of steel with a nut and the derailleur, triple plate, it has a rigid fork and V-Brakes.
The bicycle is practically assembled, except for the front wheel, saddle, handlebars and pedals, which are loose. It is very easy and intuitive to assemble, since it only requires an Allen key as a tool. It is perfect for light riding, but it is not recommended for any mountain trail as it has no suspension.
The best suspension mountain bike
It is an all-terrain mountain bike with an aluminum frame, very light, which is used both for riding in the open field and on mountain trails, as well as for commuting around the city every day. Thanks to its front fork, the suspension cushions bumps and ensures a stable and controlled ride.
Built-in front and rear disc brakes, more powerful than other braking systems, able to withstand fatigue and offer excellent performance in adverse weather conditions, especially with water. Good grip, remarkable acceleration and maneuverability, and reliable both on long climbs and on flat terrain.
The most versatile mountain bike
It is a 26 “MTB with SHIMANO 21V derailleur. It has disc brakes and full suspension. A versatile and all-terrain mountain bike with Hi Ten steel frame, robust and reliable, that performs equally well both in open field rides. as in simple trips around the city.
It is equipped with full suspension, which allows a more comfortable and controlled ride on rougher roads. Its disc brakes handle descents well and offer excellent performance in adverse weather conditions. In addition, its rear suspension is adjustable and has aluminum wheels.
Best folding mountain bike
It is a folding mountain bike, although users who have purchased it emphasize that, given the size of the handlebar, it is difficult to insert it without folding into the trunk of most cars. They also stand out for their excellent value for money and their agile shipping (it takes less than a week to arrive).
It’s light, has Shimano gears and disc brakes. The material from which the frame is made is aluminum, it has 21 speeds and the size of the wheel is 26 inches. Easy to transport due to its light weight, small size and agile folding, this Ecosmo brand bicycle is an ideal purchase.
Shopping Guide: What You Should Know About Mountain Bikes
Mountain bikes have more and more followers. If you want to buy one to combine your daily trips and take advantage of it to spend fun days in the field with it, at Fitness Piratas we guide you to choose the one that best suits your needs. Follow our instructions and the success of the purchase will be assured.
What is a mountain bike and what is it for?
How many types of mountain bikes are there depending on the suspension?
|Rigid or semi-rigid||They lack suspension. They are not advisable on stony sections or long routes||They are cheaper than the others because they are easier to manufacture||They are light, dynamic and agile|
|Double suspension||They are more comfortable. More effort is needed for the climbs because they carry more pieces||Its price is higher||Weigh more|
What wheels to choose when buying a mountain bike?
What should I keep in mind before starting mountain biking?
If you are doubtful about whether Mountain Bike is your thing or not, the following interests you, since if you understand that there are aspects that take months of learning in the field, you will save on unnecessary or useless expenses. Read the following tips carefully and take them into account before starting to practice this sport.
- Run away from the bargains : beware of prices that are too cheap (below 100 euros). It is preferable to get a more expensive bicycle and gain in safety, robustness, manageability and access to components.
- Be careful with efforts : you must be consistent when starting to practice this sport. The ideal is to start climbing at a gentle pace and increase it halfway through the route.
- Dose your strength weekly : at the beginning it is common that we want to go out without rest. However, it is preferable to dose our outings and do them more often over time.
- Listen to your teammates : as in this sport it is common to go out accompanied, especially the first few times, let them advise you and soak up their wisdom.
- Hydration : our performance will always be better if we hydrate correctly and often.
- Take care of your bike’s drivetrain : when shifting, take a short pause while the chain is shifting. You will thus guarantee greater durability to your bicycle.
- Relax : it is common to feel that your hands go to sleep, since when we start in this sport we tend to go tense and with clenched fists. Let your energy flow without fear.
What types of mountain bikes are there?
|Trail (or All Mountain)||They are used to roll on unpaved sections in general (forest tracks, dirt roads and mountain paths). They are oriented to recreational use to roll at a light pace. They are ideal for beginners|
|Decline||They are used to descend at full speed through the field or through sections with stairs. It can be done with double shock or rigid bikes. They are designed to withstand drops and bumps|
|Cross Country (also known as rally or XC)||They are used to cross mountain sections at high speed. They are used to compete in the Olympic Games, the World Cup and elite races|
|Enduro||They are bikes designed to go up and down. To do routes through mountain paths and trails with wide slopes and some jumps|
What material are mountain bikes made of?
|Steel||The best quality material for money and the pioneer in mountain bikes|
|Aluminum||It is lighter than steel, but less resistant. Very well absorbs impacts|
|Titanium||It is one of the lightest metals, although also more expensive.
Its main characteristic is elasticity.
Due to its price, few brands choose titanium for the frames of their mountain bikes
|Carbon fiber||Absorbs vibrations from the ground well.
It is more flexible than other materials, among its drawbacks is that it breaks easily
What is the most important part of the mountain bike?
|Of steel||They are very affordable. They essentially provide comfort||Steel is less resistant than other materials|
|Carbon fiber||It is a high quality material, great lightness and good resistance||It is very fragile in the event of a fall. Its price is not so affordable|
|Titanium||It is the lightest and strongest of the four. It is the most used in competitions||Its price is the highest|
|Of aluminum||It is as strong as steel, so it allows a great handling of the bike||On uneven floors, its great rigidity can be very unpleasant|
What types of bike can we find according to the modality that is practiced?
|Free ride||They are light, manageable and resistant bikes and are not designed to support long distances.|
|Of a speed||They are fixed gear bikes and their entire movement depends on the speed with which they are pedaled. They are ridden by people in excellent physical shape.|
|Path||Bicycles for safe descents. They have long-travel suspension.|
|Downhill||They are heavy and reinforced bikes because the terrain is rocky and uneven.|
What is the best mountain bike to start with?
More and more people are practicing mountain biking. If you are also considering starting to practice this sport, the first step is to get a bike. But what is the ideal one for the first contact? Experts recommend a front suspension bike. We tell you why:
- They are cheaper : this is an important factor, since you do not know if you will end up liking them or not. That is why it is preferable to make a smaller investment.
- They are easier to use : although they all require pedaling to move, front suspension bikes are lighter and more efficient than full suspension bikes.
- It is more resistant and durable : it does not have shock absorbers that need care or maintenance.
- It is more versatile : this type of bike is used both for descending the mountain and for traveling long distances. With it you will experience different sensations in this sport thanks to its great versatility.
Currently there is a huge variety of brands and models, not only in mountain biking but in all sports disciplines. This can be an advantage or a disadvantage. In the following lines we tell you what are the characteristics that a good mountain bike should have so that your purchase is optimal.
Frames are usually standard on beginner and amateur level bikes. The difference, therefore, lies in the assembly and components. Although each brand has its own chassis, which can vary in some characteristics, there are two factors within the frame that can guide us when choosing a bike of one type or another:
- The height of the standover (top tube): The steeper it is, the better.
- Design: The bike should have a more relaxed geometry (with a more open head angle).
According to triathlete Borja Plaza, “the ideal size for M, L and XL bikes is 29”, while for sizes S and XS it is 27.5 “. This is so because the smaller wheel is lighter, so it is suitable for shorter riders. If what we want is to start with descents and jumps, we will also choose the smaller wheel ”.
It is one of the most important elements of our mountain bike, since it is the only damping element. Below we will tell you what models of forks you can find in the market so that, if you have the possibility to choose, you know which is the one that best suits your needs.
|Suntour XCM||They are the most basic level of forks and do not have a long life|
|RockShox XC 30||It is of very good quality, as they offer great reliability and resistance|
|Air fork||They are of a higher level and lighter than spring|
|RockShox Recon Gold||They are made of aluminum (lighter than the steel ones)
They are the most professional forks
The best way to start mountain biking is to choose from the second category onwards (RockShox or higher) although, if the budget allows it, air forks are a better option. If we do not find any of the aforementioned models, it is convenient to try to find out which are the equivalents.
Only if it is about disc and hydraulic brakes are we talking about good brakes. And it is that it depends on this factor that we do not destroy our hands when braking and that we get a good response when we want to stop our bike on the way down. The most common brands are Tektro and Shimano.
On a bicycle, the transmission is what makes us move forward, adapting to the terrain with the different gears. To understand us, it is about what we commonly know as ‘gears’, ‘gears’ or ‘speeds’. The optimal transmission for a beginner level is 2×10 or even 1×11.
Normally, the tires that come standard on our first bike are quickly replaced with better ones. The important thing if we want to fit new tires is that they are versatile and maintain good grip. Buying models from previous years is a good option to save money, since only the design varies.
Its function is to protect the contact of the wheel with the imperfections of the ground (such as stones, mud, grass or water). They must be carefully selected, since a good suspension increases the comfort of the rider and a bad suspension will only add weight to the user.
The great tide of components and models of mountain bikes means that, when choosing, we must take into account several factors. The fundamental thing is to know the use that we are going to give it, since it is not the same to go for quiet walks through the field than to train by forcing each component to the maximum due to the complications of the terrain.
In addition, we must be realistic and know what type of terrain we will take our mountain bike on, since the more abrupt and hindered it is, the more demanding and of better quality the components will have to be. We must not forget that our bike will cross forests, climb mountains and circulate through rocky terrain.