Are you a lover of water sports? For many, these sports boiled down to kayaking, sailing, or water skiing. For the more adventurous, even diving or surfing. However, a new form of the latter has been born. And he has come to stay. We talk about paddle surfing.
This sport, practically new thanks to the constant growth of its followers, has become a true claim on the coasts and inland water areas. You want to know more? Well, stay with us, because today we have prepared for you a complete guide so that you can become an expert this summer. Here we go!
The most important
- One of the hallmarks of paddle surfing is the ease of practicing it, in addition to the expectation that it generates that you only need one board, of course. Although, yes, you will also need a paddle!
- It is a sport that has been evolving and that consists of several modalities or disciplines, which allows you to explore its many facets. Thanks to its versatility, there are different types of equipment depending on the level or modality that you are going to practice.
- In addition, and to know how to choose well, we must bear in mind purchase criteria such as material, use, dimensions and weight supported, age or necessary maintenance.
The best paddle surf boards on the market: our recommendations
Still not sure if this sport is for you? Before deciding anything, let us show you a selection of the best paddle surf boards that you can find on the market. As you will see, there are them for all tastes, modalities and ages. Check out!
- The best paddle surf board in the allround mode
- The best paddle surf board for touring
- The best paddle surf board for beginners
- The ideal paddle surf board for children
The best paddle surf board in the allround mode
This is a board that is defined by its versatility, because “allround” means that it can be used in different paddle surfing disciplines . For this reason, you will have the possibility to enter the sea both to catch waves and to do short crossings.
It is inflatable and its two ends have a round tip. Its surface is non-slip and includes, among other accessories, a safety strap, an inflation pump, a bag to store the board and a removable aluminum paddle.
The best paddle surf board for touring
With this table for touring we will have everything we need to make our trips. Its construction technology makes it highly resistant and supports a weight of up to 140 kilograms. In addition, it incorporates accessories such as a safety strap, paddle, inflation pump and a transport bag.
It is built with “Dropstitch” and “Tritech” technologies, which increases resistance. For this reason, it is specially designed so that you only have to worry about the waves and whitewater, and not about the resistance of the board or your safety.
The best paddle surf board for beginners
The soft and non-slip cover of this board is specifically designed for those who are new to paddle surfing. It has three fins to improve control, steering and increase overall speed.
In addition, thanks to its dimensions, it offers improved stability and balance when stationary. It supports up to 100 kilograms of weight and is suitable for children, adolescents and adults.
The ideal paddle surf board for children
This board and paddle game is suitable for children and young people between eight and fourteen years old, especially for the most beginners. It allows very good maneuverability, tilt stability and rail stability.
It is very easy to handle thanks to its handle and its weight is extremely light so that even the little ones can get hold of it without problems or great efforts. Supports a maximum weight of 60 kilograms.
Shopping guide: What you should know about paddle surf boards
If now that you’ve seen them the bug starts to bite you a little more, you’ve reached the indicated section. We know that, especially if it is the first time you are going to practice paddle surfing , you will have some doubts. Don’t worry, we are here to answer them all.
What exactly is paddle surfing ?
Lets start by the beginning. The origins of paddle surfing or stand up paddle , as it is also called, date back to Hawaii in the mid-20th century. At this time, surf instructors were using larger than usual boards to accompany and teach their students. However, it was not until the end of the last century that this sport began to gain recognition.Actually, it is a derivation of surfing, but it is practiced on a longer board than a conventional surfboard. It is done standing up and with the help of an oar to move on the water. Thanks to the popularity that it has acquired in recent times, there are multiple variants that can be practiced. Among the most popular we find:
- Crossing or touring .
- Surf, oriented to catch waves.
- Race or race.
- Fitness , to do exercises beyond the proper of this sport.
- Wind : a sail is added to get a blend with windsurfing .
- White waters, that is, to practice it in rivers.
- Hydrofoil : a wing or keel is added to the board and it glides on the water.
- Multi-person, with giant boards perfect for team practice.
Why is this sport so fashionable?
When we practice sports, we all look for benefits beyond having fun and the truth is that paddle surfing has been established as a perfect way to stay in shape. It is a very complete sport that will make our entire body work. Look at all the benefits we can get from practicing it:
- When practiced on an unstable surface, it keeps us in constant tension.
- In addition, due to the action of rowing, we also exercise the upper body and balance with the legs and abdominals.
- Due to this intensity, we will improve our cardiovascular endurance.
- This sport does consume a high number of calories and, being low impact, we will not have to worry about joint injuries.
Are all paddle surf boards the same?
|Allround||It is the ideal board for beginners and to be used in all modalities (within limits). Provides stability and is easy to handle.|
|Surf||Its use is exclusively intended to catch waves. Their smaller size and smaller width make them very maneuverable. However, they are not suitable for other disciplines.|
|Race||They are designed to improve movement on the water and make journeys in the shortest possible time. They are longer and narrower than usual.|
|Crossing||They are boards that mix elements of the race or racing boards and the allround ones . They dispense with certain stability to gain speed and maneuverability.|
Besides the board, what other equipment do I need to practice this sport?
This is one of the questions that most often give us headaches, especially since we have the impression of needing a huge amount of things to practice a sport like this. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, all the equipment we need in paddle surfing (beyond the board and the paddle, of course) is aimed at our own safety.
- Safety strap: it is attached to the board and to us so that, in the event of a fall, we do not lose sight of it.
- Protectors: their objective is to preserve the sensitive parts of the paddle and the board in good condition in case of blows.
- Transportation for boards: there are accessories that will make it easier for us to move with the board when we are out of the water.
- Protection vest: as its name suggests, it will keep us safe from impacts and also afloat when we fall off the board.
- Helmet: it is important especially when we are inexperienced, because in a bad fall from the board we can hit ourselves with it.
What are the parts of the paddle surf board and paddle ?
|Table parts||Function||Rowing parts||Function|
|Nose or nose||It’s the front end. Depending on the modality, its shape will be more round or pointed.||Shovel||It is the part in contact with the water and the one that helps us move by moving the water. They vary in size depending on the model.|
|Tail or tail||It’s the back end of the table. Its shape also varies depending on whether we want stability or catch waves.||Clamp||It is the closure that allows to adjust the extension of the paddle.|
|Bottom||It is the part of the table that is submerged.||Pole||It is the central area of the rowing and with which we apply more force to row.|
|Deck||The upper part of the table on which we lean.||Rails||As in the case of surfing, they are the edges of the blade. It is the area most exposed to damage.|
|Keels||They are under the table and give us control and direction when it comes to maneuvering.||Strike angle||It is the angle of difference between the blade and the pole. Depending on this, the row will be different.|
|Handle||It is the handle of the table to be able to take it.||Knob||It is located at the top end. It varies according to the model to better adapt to our hand.|
|Rails||They are the edges of the table. Where the deck and the bottom meet .|
It seems that you are about to reach the expert level in everything related to paddle surf boards . Do you want to know what you are missing? Very simple: know the keys or purchase criteria that will help you choose the model that is closest to what you are looking for. Take note!
- Dimensions and weight supported
The first thing to think about before buying a paddle surf board is the use that we are going to give it. As you have seen, there are many disciplines and you will have to choose one of them to be able to get the table you need. You must analyze your tastes and how you want to practice this sport:
- Do you want to catch waves? So your model is “surf”.
- If, on the other hand, you want to do a bit of everything, what you need is an allround board .
- If you plan to practice it in rivers, you will need a white waters model .
- Finally, if your idea is to enjoy more than one discipline such as fitness or yoga, where the stability of the table is a priority, you will have to opt for more specific models.
Needless to say, one of the most important decisions when practicing this sport is choosing the perfect board. Well, to do it correctly we must know that there are rigid and inflatable boards, and whose construction materials are diverse. Both present their pros and cons:
|Inflatables||They are lighter and easier to transportThey are more sensitive to the wind
They are usually made of PVC plastic
|Rigid or solid||They are usually made of plastic, carbon, foam, wood or epoxy, the latter being the most common material.They offer better performance than inflatable ones in terms of stability and resistance.|
Dimensions and weight supported
On the other hand, knowing how to choose the right board size is one of the essential keys to being able to enjoy this sport. Generally, tables with more liters or volume are easier to handle and with which you learn faster. However, they are the ones that will fall short before.
Calculating the volume of the table that corresponds to us is based on a sum. Based on our experience, we must add:
- Our weight
- The board
- The equipment we carry (including rowing)
- 50 kilograms if we just started
The resulting sum will be the ideal volume of our table.
One of the great advantages that this sport has shown is the ease with which it can be practiced, especially if we have some coordination and are skilled. Therefore, there is really no age barrier to practice paddle surfing .
However, specialists do not recommend starting before the age of eight. In this case, you should choose a specialized board that allows the child to move freely and handle it with ease. Of course, age implies greater or lesser difficulty, but practicing it is simple and everyone sets their limits.
Last but not least, we will have to think about the maintenance of our table. Don’t worry, it’s quite simple, but a series of instructions must be followed if we want our material to last as long as possible.
- Do not leave it dry or exposed to the sun for a long time, especially the upper part.
- Inflate the table respecting the values indicated by the manufacturer.
- Clean it with fresh water after each use or at least three times a month.
- Never keep the board wet
- Try to keep the board always inflated at low pressure.
Do you want to try a new water sport? The surf paddle is what you are looking for . It is a very versatile sport and with which you will have a great time. In addition, the wide variety of paddle surf boards that we can find allows you to always find the ideal one for you.
Take into account your level of skill, the use that you are going to give your board and your level of knowledge about this sport to choose the one that suits your needs. Although now it seems like a world, you will see how easy it is to learn. What are you waiting for?