About 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by oceans. Under this great body of water, true wonders of nature are submerged. The snorkeling is an excellent activity that allows us to discover them . Unlike diving, snorkeling is practiced in shallow waters and does not require great prior knowledge.
On the other hand, it doesn’t require a great team either. If you have fins and you know how to swim, you are already halfway to being able to practice it. What do you lack? A snorkel mask . Thanks to it, you can enjoy the seabed in all its splendor. To help you, we have put together this guide so you can complete your snorkeling equipment.
The most important
- A snorkel mask is a device that allows us to dive close to the surface. Thanks to it, we can breathe naturally through the nose and mouth while observing the seabed.
- One of the great advantages of snorkel masks is that they provide a wide viewing angle.
- It is important that the mask has a good anti-fog system, one of the basic purchase criteria. Failure to do so may cause the mask to fog up while wearing it.
The best snorkel masks on the market: our recommendations
Unlike classic diving goggles, masks snorkel completely cover our face. This allows us to breathe naturally through the nose and through the mouth. In addition, they provide a wide viewing angle for observing marine fauna and flora. Next, we show you a selection with the best snorkel masks of 2020.
- The favorite snorkel mask of online users
- The best snorkel mask in value for money
- The best snorkel mask with a wide variety of colors and sizes
- The best snorkel mask with flat glass
The favorite snorkel mask of online users
The Hovnee snorkel mask is one of the most popular options for online users . This model, which has received many positive reviews, has an integrated tube and a viewing angle of 180 degrees.
Inhaled air enters through the upper part of the mask, while exhaled air exits through the lower part. Thus, natural breathing through the nose and mouth is facilitated. This mask is available in two sizes.
The best snorkel mask in value for money
Wotek offers us an alternative at a very affordable price. This snorkel mask is designed to prevent fogging during use. Its viewing angle is 180 degrees.
This model is constructed of silicone for an optimal leak-proof seal. On the other hand, the Wotek mask includes straps to adjust it correctly to our face. This is a fundamental element, as it is only available in one size.
The best snorkel mask with a wide variety of colors and sizes
Hengbird offers us a model with a wide range of sizes and colors. Thus, we can choose the option that best suits the size of our face and our personal tastes.
This snorkel mask incorporates a bracket to install a sports camera. In this way, we can record our aquatic expeditions. The tube of this model can be folded into the mask for easy transport.
The best snorkel mask with flat glass
The flat glass of the Unigear mask prevents distortions in vision such as the fisheye effect. In addition, the tube of this model is removable, which makes its transport and storage easier.
Furthermore, this snorkel mask incorporates three independent channels for air flow. In this way, the inside of the glass is prevented from fogging up and the carbon dioxide that we exhale from accumulating.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Snorkel Masks
Before diving into the hidden wonders of the ocean, it is essential that we have good snorkeling equipment . The mask is an excellent alternative to the classic glasses with the separate tube. However, before choosing one, we must resolve all the doubts that may arise. Therefore, here we will try to answer the most frequent questions:
How do you wear a snorkel mask ?
The snorkel is a type of diving is done at water. The person who practices it does not dive to great depths, as it happens with other diving modalities. With the snorkel mask we can continue breathing while observing the seabed. Unlike diving goggles, the mask allows us to breathe naturally through the nose and mouth.To use a snorkel mask , we must make sure that we choose the right size. The mask must be well adjusted to our face to prevent water from leaking inside. The usual thing is that they incorporate straps so that we can tighten it correctly. When swimming, the tube must be positioned above the surface to allow oxygen to enter.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a snorkel mask ?
Can I wear a snorkel mask if I have vision problems?
Another alternative is to wear contact lenses. We advise you to talk to your eye doctor to recommend the most appropriate for this activity. Finally, there is the possibility of inserting prescription glasses inside the mask. On the Internet there are different tutorials that show how to do it, although it is worth consulting with an expert.
What are the parts of a snorkel mask ?
Before launching into the vast ocean, we must know our snorkeling equipment in depth . Being familiar with it will help us to use it correctly. For this reason, below we explain the most important parts of a snorkel mask . Of course, its components may vary from one model to another.
- Crystal: it is the largest part of the mask, the one that separates our face from the water. It is usually made of tempered glass or polycarbonate. As a general rule, they provide a wide viewing angle, usually 180 degrees.
- Tube: it is the part through which the air enters the mask. Its shape may vary from one model to another. However, all of them are designed to remain on the surface of the water when we swim with our face submerged. Many snorkel masks include a tube that can be folded or even disassembled for easy transport and storage. Some models include a locking system on the tube. In this way, even if we submerge it completely, the water will not enter through the tube.
- Straps: these are the tapes that allow you to adjust the mask to our face. They are usually elastic and resistant. Although there are different sizes of masks, practically all include an adjustable strap system.
- Breathing System – Some models have a multi-channel breathing system. In this way, the flow of air from the outside enters on one side, and the exhaled air leaves on the other. In a particularly interesting system so that the mask does not fog up or carbon dioxide accumulates inside.
- Skirt: it is the part that joins the snorkel mask and our face. Normally, it is made of silicone so that it adheres easily to our face. When placing the mask, it is important that we take special care in the part where our hair grows. If the skirt remains on the hair, it may cause water to leak inside.
- Camera support: it is a piece, generally located between the mask and the tube, that allows to place sports cameras. In this way, we can record or photograph the seabed. It is important that the camera is equipped with a good waterproof housing.
What care does my snorkel mask need ?
Surely you are looking forward to jumping into the water with your snorkel gear . But have you already decided on a good mask? It is normal to have doubts about the great variety of possible models. The criteria that we discuss below will help you choose the best snorkel mask available today.
- Vision angle
- Anti-fog system
One of the great advantages of snorkel masks is that they offer a wide viewing angle. Most of the masks available today offer a 180 degree angle. We must pay attention to this aspect when reading the description of the model we choose to ensure that it meets this requirement. If it doesn’t, it would be advisable to find another model.
Mist can be a major inconvenience when snorkeling . Fogging up our mask can prevent us from seeing clearly. In the worst case, we will have to stop the activity and remove the mask. Therefore, it is important that the model we choose has an anti-fog system.
Some snorkel masks have separate air inlet and outlet channels. In this way, fogging is prevented inside the mask. In these cases, the nose and mouth area is usually isolated from the vision area. There are also models that have an anti-fog valve. It is a good idea that the model we choose includes one of these options.
Safety is essential when practicing any sport, especially those that require us to submerge ourselves in water. Of course, it is essential that we know how to swim to snorkel . But it is also essential that we take into account other safety tips before choosing our snorkel mask . Here we tell you the most important:
- Safety standards: It is important that the snorkel mask meets the safety standards of the European Union. This applies to both the materials you use and the ventilation system. It is essential that we choose a model in which carbon dioxide does not accumulate.
- User Reviews: Sometimes the product description can be a bit confusing. Therefore, it never hurts to read the opinions of other users regarding the safety of the mask.
- Don’t dive too deep – Snorkel masks are generally not designed for diving to great depths. Therefore, even if they have a tube that blocks the water inlet, we should not stray too far from the surface.
- Practice snorkel not intensively: the snorkeling is an activity of low intensity. Therefore, we should not go to great lengths while wearing our mask. Also, some experts recommend snorkeling for a maximum of twenty minutes at a time.
- Know how to swim: as we already mentioned, it is essential to know how to swim to snorkel and, therefore, to use a mask.
- Experience: if this is the first time you are going to snorkel , it is a good idea to do it with someone who has experience in this activity. As an alternative, you can also take a course that introduces you to this practice.
- Children: In the case of children, it is important to choose a model that is suitable for them. In addition, it is essential that they always snorkel under the supervision of an adult and in areas where they stand.
To snorkel effectively, it’s important that your mask is comfortable for you. The skirt will influence comfort, since it is the part that comes into contact with our face. In addition, the type of strap you include can also affect this aspect. The ideal would be to try on different models to be able to choose the one that is most comfortable for us.
Many models are available in different sizes. Make sure you choose the one that best suits your face. If we choose a model that is too small, it can be annoying. On the contrary, if we choose a model that is too large, water could enter the inside of the mask. The size that corresponds to us varies depending on the distance between the nose and the chin.
The snorkeling is a fun activity that gives us the opportunity to approach the wonders of the underwater world. To practice it, it is important to have good snorkeling equipment . The mask is one of the key pieces. It is a good alternative to the classic diving goggles, with the tube separately.
One of the great advantages of the mask is that it allows us to breathe naturally through the nose and mouth. In addition, it offers us a wide viewing angle. Thus, we can fully enjoy the underwater flora and fauna. But don’t forget that safety comes first. Therefore, make sure you buy a model that meets all safety standards.