Trekking backpack: which is the best of 2021?
Trekking or hiking (in Spanish) is a sport in which it competes not. It consists of traveling through isolated landscapes with difficult traffic, such as mountainous areas or remote places without trails. It is carried out autonomously and generally on foot. Trek is an Anglicism used to describe a longer and more complicated journey.
We should not confuse trekking with hiking, as the latter takes place on marked trails, with safety guarantees, and is usually done on the same day. However, they are close disciplines, hiking being the forerunner of hiking. Among the necessary elements for trekking is the backpack, which we will talk about in this article.
The most important points about Trekking Backpack
- Backpacks must be light, comfortable, and resistant.
- The duration of the activity or the trip will determine the capacity of the backpack to choose.
- Waterproofing and ventilation are critical in the backpack to successfully cope with humidity or high temperatures, which we will see later in the purchase criteria.
The best trekking backpack
The trekking backpack must adjust to the demands of the activity that we are going to carry out. In the market, there are models with different characteristics to respond to these needs. In some cases, we can find versatile products that will allow us to use them in different situations. We are going to know some articles of proven quality:
Onyorhan 70 L Trekking Backpack
Made with Oxford polyester (high quality and lightweight fabric used in the manufacture of shirts). It is a comfortable, waterproof trekking backpack with long-lasting performance. Its ergonomic design relieves pressure on the shoulders and distributes weight, while the padding on the belt reduces the impact on the waist.
It has a large capacity, 70 liters, which is ideal for excursions of many days or in which it is necessary to move a large number of elements or material. Besides, it has several compartments to carry smaller items and to which we can access more quickly. It is available in four colors.
Mountaintop 40 L Trekking Backpack
Polyester backpack with a capacity of 40 liters, enough for use on trips or activities of several days, without dragging the inconveniences of a large size or greater weight. It is resistant, which favors its durability. It has a high-quality zipper and buckle that facilitate its use. It resists humidity and has an additional rain cover.
In addition to the main compartment and the outer pockets, it has an inner one where you can safely transport a laptop and another on the front with a velcro closure system and a hidden pocket. The buyers’ valuation is very high, even for some who have used it to go around the world.
Lixada 50 L Trekking Backpack
Made of high-quality nylon. It has a large capacity main compartment and multiple exterior pockets, allowing it to offer 50 liters of storage. The bottom case is separate, so it is an excellent place to store items that should not be mixed with others, such as shoes.
The mesh back panels are padded and provide more excellent support and comfort and promote breathability. Adjustable straps on shoulders, chest, and waist achieve a perfect fit. It can be purchased in up to six different colors. Users highlight its strength and lightness.
AmazonBasics Trekking Backpack
Made of durable polyester, with internal structure and large capacity. It is available in three versions, 50, 60, and 70 liters, although in all of them, we add five more liters thanks to the extension collar. In case of needing a lot of capacity, we could opt for the 75-liter model. The outer coating resists light rain. A waterproof cover accompanies it.
The straps are adjustable and padded, as is the lower back, the latter with molded channels to provide support for the lower back and allow airflow. It has excellent reviews and ratings from users, highlighting its strength, capacity, and quality of AmazonBasics products.
Mardingtop 50/60/65 (+10 L) Trekking Backpack
This backpack can be purchased in three different sizes, with a capacity of 50, 60, and 65 liters. It also offers the possibility of increasing its capacity by ten more liters. We are talking about a product suitable for activities or trips of many days, such as the Camino de Santiago. It is made of waterproof polyester, although it also has a rain cover.
It has a large main compartment, which can be quickly accessed via a zip on the front. It has several pockets, one of them inside to store even a laptop. The shoulder, chest, and belt straps are adjustable, and the backrest is made of breathable mesh.
Trekking Backpack Shopping Guide
What you should know about trekking backpacks?
Next, we will get to know the trekking backpack better, a product that must resist abuse and the activity’s effort. It is attached to the back and leaves the hands free.
It must have a chest and waist adjustment to accommodate the body entirely. This prevents movements that can cause shock or discomfort. The straps should be broad and somewhat stiff.
What is a trekking backpack?
The trekking backpack is a container to carry luggage in outdoor activities, mainly hiking, although it is also used on trips where we do not want or need suitcases.
Precisely because they are exposed to inclement weather, they are usually entirely waterproof, resistant, and have adequate ventilation. One of the main characteristics of backpacks is that they are carried comfortably, attached to the body utilizing straps. In this way we prevent them from moving and also the weight is distributed between the shoulders and hips, especially in the latter, facilitating the transport of our luggage.
What parts does a trekking backpack have?
Trekking backpacks are designed and manufactured so that we can transport the items we need on each trip. Each piece of space counts and is essential. Hence it is intended to be used or to make carrying the load more comfortable. There are four recognizable parts that we are going to develop next:
- Head: It is in the upper area of the backpack, and it is the place through which we introduce the elements that we are going to transport. Sometimes it has pockets, which can be located both inside and outside.
- Main compartment: It is the largest part of the backpack and in which we store most of the items we want to transport. It is usually made of nylon and waterproof.
- Back: It has contact with the back, making it the most critical part of the backpack. It must protect this delicate area of the body while distributing the weight well, using straps placed on the shoulders. Sometimes one is added to the chest and the hip belt.
- Pockets: They are smaller compartments, typically suitable for a specific item that we are going to carry, cases of the canteen, compass, flashlight. Some are located on the outside, and others on the inside. There are even secrets to keep, for example, a wallet or other valuables. And adapted for laptops.
What accessories can a trekking backpack carry?
Some trekking backpacks are more straightforward than others. It all depends on what one wants to add to the basics to feel more comfortable or enjoy better service or protection. This is the case of the water cover, very necessary to protect yourself from the rain. Also, in a central compartment, you can place a suspension grid to distribute the weight. One of the accessories that can be very useful and has become very fashionable is the hydration system. It is a rechargeable bag with a tube, which is placed in an external compartment so that you can drink at any time without having to remove your backpack to look for the canteen or a bottle.
How to wash and maintain a trekking backpack?
Cleaning the trekking backpack can be done with a sponge soaked in warm soapy water (maximum 30 ºC). Unless they are manufactured specifically for this type of material, avoid very aggressive detergents that can damage the backpack’s fabric. Nor should softeners be used. Drying must be done naturally, at room temperature, and without direct exposure to heat sources such as the sun, hanging the backpack, or placing it on a flat and clean surface. To prolong the backpack’s life, we must store it in a dry place or a large cotton bag.
What type of trekking backpack is suitable according to the capacity?
When we acquire a trekking backpack, we must be clear about the capacity we need, depending on the activity we will carry out and its duration, since all this influences the number of items we intend to transport. We will find the following options:
- From 10 to 30 liters: They are used for activities of a few hours or a single day in which we need to transport some clothes and food. We are more interested in the 30-liter one in winter since. Generally, you have to bring some warm clothing to older people. They are very light backpacks.
- 40 liters: They are ideal backpacks for activities of 2 or 3 days, such as a weekend outing. They have the necessary capacity to carry more clothes, food, and items, such as a camera, a tablet.
- From 50 to 65 liters: These are backpacks with an adequate load capacity, suitable for outings of five days or a week. On routes through mountains, it also allows us to have space to carry material or specific equipment for that activity.
- More than 65 liters: For long-term trips, such as a pilgrimage route along the Camino de Santiago or a trip worldwide. Their capacity allows you to carry everything, but it must be taken into account that they are not light and that your body must maintain a weight that does not make you suffer discomfort or lead to injury.
How to distribute the load in a trekking backpack?
It is imperative to distribute the trekking backpack load well so that there are no imbalances that force a more significant effort, cause discomfort, or even cause injuries. This distribution will also help us have the most necessary stored elements quickly and easily, without being forced to remove all the content. At the bottom of the backpack, we must place clothes or items that we will not use immediately. In the middle, we can place heavy material or the one that we want to carry more protected. On top, frequently used items, such as food or sunscreen. In the outer pockets, we want to have more at hand, such as the telephone or the compass.
What are the most recognized brands of trekking backpacks?
The buyers’ reviews and evaluations are the best thermometers to measure the products’ quality, also concerning their price. Manufacturers are exposed to this verdict, and in trekking backpacks, we find several brands that score. Among them are the firms listed below:
- Mountaintop: This Chinese manufacturer offers very inexpensive products without losing the level of quality. Their backpacks have several interior and exterior pockets. Even hidden compartments, which we can use to hide valuables.
- Salomon: Firm of great international recognition in the manufacture of sports equipment. After several decades in the sector, the French brand based in the city of Annecy has highly developed and high-quality products, as is the case with trekking backpacks.
- Mardingtop: This brand stands out for its resistant, comfortable, and versatile trekking backpacks. It has an extensive catalog, also highlighting the high quality of its tactical military backpacks.
Trekking Backpack Purchase Criteria
When we go to buy a trekking backpack, we must have four or five concepts clear. The capacity indicates us in liters the volume of the load that can assume. The manufacturing material must be waterproof and promote perspiration. If we add a suitable fastening system, something fundamental such as comfort will be assured.
If we intend to do a trip or an outdoor activity for several days, we need a backpack with a large capacity. Also, if we want to move many or large items, we refer to not very heavy materials since backpacks have a resistance limit, and we cannot carry excessive weights either.
It is recommended not to exceed our weight by 10% when we make long trips. The capacity of the backpack is measured in liters. Those of 20 or less are ideal for short trips. With 40 liters, we have an article with adequate power and light for a few days. If the journey is long, you have to opt for backpacks of 65 liters or more.
Considering that the backpack is an element that we must carry on our backs and require a physical effort, it must be as comfortable as possible. Besides, in many activities, we will charge it for several hours and perhaps many days. The material, shape, or fastening straps cannot cause us any inconvenience.
When we carry a trekking backpack, we are making a physical effort, both because of the load we have to bear and the demands of the terrain we are walking. That makes sweating appear. And on the back, the problem increases as it is attached to the structure of the backpack.
For this reason, we must pay close attention to the model that we are going to acquire, although most of them are made with materials that favor breathability. High-end backpacks even have a ventilation system that will help users stay relatively calm.
The waterproofing of a trekking backpack is almost a must. We are facing a product that we are going to use in adverse weather conditions. We must protect the elements that we have stored from moisture. In general, the manufacturing material of the different models protects against water. Also, they are usually accompanied by rain covers.
The backpacks have various fastening systems, which allow you to carry the load more comfortably and safely. Starting with the shoulder straps, which are usually padded and assume a part of the weight took. They are adjustable to regulate the height and distance of the backpack from the body.
Then we have the lumbar belts. They keep the backpack close to the body, prevent it from moving and hitting you when walking, as well as helping to support part of the weight. Finally, some models have a chest strap. The support that keeps the above but is not necessary.
The right choice of trekking backpack will make your outdoor adventures much more comfortable and quiet, as well as the trips you make in any transport. We have learned about the other models’ different characteristics and their suitability for each type of activity or situation.
Now it remains for each user to find the option that best suits them. It is not difficult, and it also has the excellent quality that almost all manufacturers offer. What cannot be negotiable is comfort. We have to feel comfortable, even in highly demanding situations.