Having a quality waterproof backpack is essential when practicing outdoor activities. An unexpected downpour, having to wade through a stream or the overturning of our canoe can make all our belongings, if we are not equipped with one of these backpacks, become useless.
Waterproof backpacks are the main allies of lovers of outdoor sports, as well as those who, on their trips, want to be in close contact with nature. There are several types of waterproof backpacks, from 100% waterproof bags to models that only have a mere anti-humidity coating.
The most important
- Those who do outdoor activities or water sports know the importance of having a waterproof backpack. There are several types: those that only repel water that we can even submerge. They are usually made of materials such as nylon, Dacron or Oxford cloth.
- You should not confuse waterproof backpacks with waterproof covers; neither with the watertight bags. The use of this equipment requires that we follow a series of recommendations, as well as for its maintenance. The duration of the waterproofing treatment of our backpack will depend on whether we clean it regularly.
- We should not launch into buying a waterproof backpack without first asking ourselves a series of key questions. The type of activity that we are going to carry out, the degree of waterproofing, its capacity or the number of compartments are some of the things that you should consider when choosing one of these backpacks.
The best waterproof backpacks: our recommendations
For our list, we have selected some of the best waterproof backpacks on the market. From 100% waterproof backpacks, suitable for practicing water activities, to moisture-resistant hiking bags, all of them have the best reviews among online buyers .
- The best waterproof bag for water activities
- The best waterproof backpack for kids
- The cheapest waterproof hiking backpack
- The highest rated waterproof camping backpack
- The most economical waterproof backpack cover
The best waterproof bag for water activities
This watertight bag has a 20-liter capacity and is made of seamless PVC, which prevents the entry of water while we practice water sports or walk in heavy rain.
It also includes a cover that allows us to use our mobile without having to remove it from it, as well as a small waterproof wallet completely watertight to protect small objects, such as wallets, chargers or documents.
The best waterproof backpack for kids
This backpack is available in the shape of eight aquatic animals, which makes it especially suitable for the little ones. It has a capacity of 7.5 liters and has a safety lock that keeps its interior safe from moisture.
Its capacity makes it ideal to transport the towel and the change of children when they go to the pool or the beach. It also has a small waterproof pocket to identify it.
The cheapest waterproof hiking backpack
This water-resistant foldable backpack is ideal for both country walks and everyday use. With a capacity of 18 liters, this hiking bag is made with a water repellent fabric and waterproof zippers.
It has several compartments and, most interestingly, you can compress it when not necessary and put it in a small bag barely the size of a smartphone.
The highest rated waterproof camping backpack
This backpack has the Molle system, which allows you to hang additional bags at various points in the bag. It has a 45-liter capacity, divided into several compartments, and is made of high-quality waterproof and tear-resistant fabric.
This bag features padded shoulder straps, a mesh back, and an adjustable belt. In addition, it has a customizable space with Velcro to place patches and badges.
The most economical waterproof backpack cover
Available in black, green and blue, this set of two waterproof covers is recommended to add additional protection to our hiking backpack. They are made of high resistance nylon capable of repelling even the most persistent rain.
When you don’t need it, you can fold it up and store it in a small bag also included in the lot. There are three sizes available, for backpacks between 18 and 55 liters.
Shopping Guide: What You Should Know About Waterproof Backpacks
Waterproof, waterproof and waterproof backpack: what difference does it make?
They can also keep the interior dry if we accidentally drop them in the water. On the other hand, if they are in contact with it for a long time, it could enter its interior. The water-resistant pads are built to withstand light rain.
In no case do they guarantee that the objects we carry inside remain dry in the event of heavy rain or accidental fall into a stream. The watertight bags offer total protection against water and are even prepared so that we can completely submerge them.
Advantages of waterproof backpacks
Protection against water and humidity is perhaps the most obvious advantage of this type of backpack. However, these articles offer athletes, travelers and nature lovers a whole series of advantages that should be remembered.
- Due to the quality of their materials, less dirt sticks to waterproof backpacks than, for example, those made of canvas. In addition, they are easier to clean thanks to the water-repellent treatment of the fabric.
- Due to the thickness of the fabric, the waterproof backpacks offer greater protection against theft and accidental breakage.
- Waterproof backpacks are generally more durable than a normal backpack . The thick nylon fabric and the double stitching, as well as the zippers with rain protection, significantly increase the durability and resistance of this type of backpack.
- There are many models, capable of meeting the needs of a wide range of users: athletes, walkers, motorcyclists or backpackers, among others.
- Like conventional backpacks, raincoats are available in a large number of sizes; from those designed for children, of just ten liters, to those for hikers and climbers, high-end equipment of up to eighty liters.
What are the essential parts of a waterproof backpack?
Every waterproof backpack should have a series of basic elements. Next, we show you which are the most important when determining the quality of the equipment.
- Handle. Every backpack must incorporate a handle to hold it. This must be comfortable as well as resistant, capable of supporting the weight of the loaded backpack.
- Zippers. These are the weak point of any waterproof backpack, since through them, if they are not sufficiently protected, the water will seep little by little.
- Adjustable height. Any quality backpack must offer the possibility of adjusting in height. In this way, you can adjust the height at which the backpack is relative to your back, which will mean greater comfort and less fatigue.
- Adjustable straps. It is essential that the backpack has a strap at the waist or chest. In this way, the bag will be properly adjusted and we will avoid discomfort.
- Padded. Certain parts of the backpack, such as the back, waist or shoulder straps, must be padded. Thanks to this we will minimize the discomfort derived from prolonged use, as in the case of long walks.
- Breathable back. The part of the backpack in contact with our back must be made of a breathable mesh fabric. This way we will avoid excessive sweating.
What are waterproof backpacks made of?
Waterproof backpacks are usually made of fabrics such as nylon or polyester, materials with a water-repellent treatment. They usually have double seams, which prevent water from entering their interior for a while. Heat-sealed and welded seams are the most effective and are those that we can find in 100% watertight bags.Another widely used material in the manufacture of waterproof backpacks is Oxford cloth. This fabric is actually a variety of polyester, only thicker. Oxford 600D fabric is the most widely used in the manufacture of waterproof suitcases and backpacks. The higher the value of D —denier—, the thicker and stronger the fabric will be.
What are backpack covers?
Backpack covers are protectors that fit over them to protect them from the rain. They come in a variety of sizes and are able to fit a wide range of backpacks. They are suitable both to protect bags that are not waterproof and to provide extra protection to those that are.These waterproof protectors are designed to protect the backpack both from light and short-term rains and from persistent downpours, depending on their quality. They also preserve the backpack from dirt and mud, preventing it from getting dirty when placed on the ground. On the other hand, they will not serve as protection if the bag comes into prolonged contact with water.
How to properly use a waterproof backpack?
Waterproof backpacks, like any other type of backpack, put the weight of our belongings on our shoulders. Therefore, it is necessary to follow certain recommendations to avoid possible injuries. First, be sure to adjust the straps so that the back of the bag is as close to your back as possible.Waterproof backpacks have a strap on the chest or waist for a better adjustment to our back: use them, as they are there to better distribute the weight and that our shoulders do not suffer too much. Of course, forget that bad habit of carrying it on only one shoulder, as the weight could throw you off balance while walking on uneven terrain.
In the case of the little ones, you must take special care that they do not carry too much weight in their backpacks and that the objects are well distributed. Generally, it is considered that the load should not exceed 10% of the child’s weight. Make sure that your backpack is of quality, with padded straps and with enough width so as not to damage the shoulders.
How to take care of our waterproof backpack?
The water-repellent properties of most sports and travel backpacks are due to the waterproof treatment of the fabric with which they are made. To extend its useful life, we must take great care in cleaning and maintaining it, taking special care, of course, not to damage its waterproofing layer.Waterproof backpacks can become impregnated with dirt and bad odors, which we must remove by washing them frequently. It is not highly recommended that you wash your bag in the machine, as the straps and zippers could get caught in the holes in the drum, damaging the backpack and even damaging the washing machine.
- To wash them by hand, immerse the backpack in the bathtub with warm water and a little neutral detergent.
- Use a dish towel, sponge, or soft brush to remove dirt, both inside and out.
- After rinsing, hang it upside down to dry, but never in direct sunlight.
Whether you plan to purchase a waterproof backpack or a waterproof bag to practice water activities, you must ask yourself a series of basic questions. The type of use that you are going to give your backpack and the degree of waterproofing are some of those key factors, but there are a few more that should be borne in mind.
- Use that we will give to our backpack
- Degree of waterproofing
- Resistant and quality materials
- Value for money
Use that we will give to our backpack
The use to which we are going to assign the waterproof backpack is, perhaps, the most important factor that you have to take into account when choosing one. It is not the same, for example, a backpack designed for sporadic use than another to which we plan to jog a lot. Neither the design, nor the quality of its materials, nor the level of waterproofing will be the same.
Degree of waterproofing
The level of resistance to humidity of the backpack is directly related to the use that we are going to give it. If you are one of those who enjoy traveling with a backpack, consider purchasing a quality one. The level of protection against water is proportional to the price of the backpack, but it is worth paying a little more to keep your things dry.
These keep their interior dry even if they remain in contact with water for long periods of time. Some snorkelers even use them as buoys to mark their position. Dry bags tend to have a smaller capacity than backpacks.
When purchasing a waterproof backpack, you should not be short on capacity. For light and short-term activities, such as trekking or cycling, it is advisable to choose one with between 15 and 20 liters of capacity. If you plan to take it on a trip or camping, you should buy one with a capacity of at least 30 liters.
The size of the backpack should also be based on your own height. You must choose a model adjusted to your proportions, without going too far or falling short. The backpack you choose must also be adapted to the shape and size of the objects you intend to pack. Hence, there are bags specially designed to transport laptops or photographic equipment.
The quantity and distribution of the compartments is another of the key characteristics when choosing a waterproof backpack. Having your belongings organized and at hand is essential when we go on a trip or practice any activity in nature. Some models include an internal waterproof bag to keep wet clothes separate from other objects.
Certain waterproof backpacks are equipped with hooks to hang various objects, such as bags, bottles, or sleeping bags. 100% watertight bags, on the other hand, don’t usually have too many compartments. They are usually tubular in shape, with a main compartment and one or two small-capacity outer pockets.
Comfort is another determining factor when choosing our backpack. Remember that, in most cases, you are going to wear it for many hours, so you should make sure that the straps are wide and padded. In this way, you will avoid discomfort in the shoulders and, in the worst case, any injury.
In order to distribute the weight better, most models have straps that adjust to the chest and waist. This ensures that the backpack is well fixed to the back and the load balanced. Note that it has a breathable back, which prevents prolonged contact with our body from causing excessive sweating.
Resistant and quality materials
The quality of the materials of a waterproof backpack is crucial to avoid unpleasant surprises. Obviously, it is a factor that usually leads to a higher outlay; an expense, however, that is worth assuming. Make sure the seams are resistant, both on the body of the bag and on the straps and handles.
The ideal is to buy a backpack made of quality materials, such as nylon, with several layers capable of keeping the interior dry. The fabric used for ship sails – Dacron – is used by some backpack manufacturers. It is a very resistant and highly waterproof material, which only high-end backpacks incorporate.
Aesthetics is another key factor when choosing our waterproof backpack. If you are looking to break the monotony of black or gray, there are many models of brightly colored and cheerful backpacks. The watertight bags are usually made in bright colors, such as red, orange or yellow, because they are sometimes used as buoys in diving.
In hot climates, it is desirable to choose light-colored backpacks. In this way, they will better reflect solar radiation and keep our belongings cooler, something vital in the case of electronic devices or food. The bright colors are suitable for forest and mountain activities, since they make it easy to be located in the distance.
Value for money
The available budget will determine the type of backpack you choose. However, in the market you can find good quality waterproof backpacks at really interesting prices. A good hiking or cycling backpack does not usually go below € 30, while a camping backpack can cost around € 50.
The watertight bags are more affordable and, although some reach € 60, the normal thing is that most are around € 15 or 20. Waterproof covers are also very affordable. Most usually cost between € 5 and € 10, some even less. They are a good option for those who do not need a waterproof backpack but still want to be prepared in case of rain.
Those who do outdoor activities or travel with a backpack on their shoulders know the importance of having a waterproof backpack. Basically, there are three types: those that repel moisture, the waterproof and the watertight. Our choice will depend, to a large extent, on the use that we are going to give our backpack.
Knowing how to choose a waterproof backpack suitable for our needs is vital if we want to safeguard our belongings from moisture. In this article we have tried to clarify the doubts that these types of bags raise, such as what materials they are made of, how to use them properly or their correct cleaning.