Hey traveler, are you already planning your next adventure in nature? Indeed you already have the destination, the perfect places to park your caravan, and the camping area with the best views. You will know where to eat, where to walk and everything else. But, have you stopped to think about when to relieve yourself?
It may seem too eschatological a topic, but for nature lovers, it is paramount. You know it well. Therefore, if you are already an expert and have come looking for information or just started in this world, this guide is made for you. In it, we will talk about the best portable toilets on the market, which will be very useful to you.
The most important points about portable toilets
- Who said that spending your holidays in nature meant giving up basic comforts? With portable toilets that are a thing of the past. Now, even if you are in the most remote place, you can relieve yourself with total peace of mind.
- Portable toilets are tremendously useful when we go camping, or if we prefer to travel in a caravan. They allow us to treat waste hygienically and more comfortable than you think.
- When choosing the portable toilet that will accompany you on your next adventure, you must consider factors such as size, comfort, materials, or the use you will give it.
The best portable toilet
Despite their great utility, portable toilets are not widely known. Therefore, we would like to start this guide by recommending the best portable toilets you will find in the market. Thus, you can choose with knowledge, which is how it is best done. Please take a good look at the list of products that we show you below.
- The most straightforward and most functional portable toilet
- Best Portable Chemical Toilet
- The most natural and ecological portable toilet
- The most complete portable toilet
The most straightforward and most functional portable toilet
There are times when simplicity is not synonymous with worse quality. This straightforward portable toilet is categorized as Amazon’s Choice, thanks to good user ratings. It is a 22-liter toilet that supports up to 130 kilograms of weight.
Its careful design, very similar to that of a traditional toilet, has a lid that provides hygiene and discretion.
Best Portable Chemical Toilet
This portable chemical toilet is made of high-strength HDPE material, has a high load capacity, and a wide, comfortable, non-slip seat with excellent stability.
Therefore, it is convenient both for travel and for the elderly to use.
Its booster pump with a manual piston is easy to use. Besides, the clean water tank has a very efficient T-type nozzle.
The most natural and ecological portable toilet
If you are one of those who has nature in your veins, this is your ideal portable toilet. This folding design toilet is very easy to transport thanks to its weather-resistant zippered cover. It unfolds quickly, and its robust frame supports more than 150 kilograms of weight.
The package includes 50 wipes and 12 biodegradable bags, plus 12 sachets of powder for waste management.
The most complete portable toilet
At ProPlus, they have thought down to the smallest detail and have added a paper roll holder to their portable toilet. No matter where you are, with this toilet, you will feel at home. This toilet is suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
It has a capacity of 7 liters and a seat at the height of 33 centimeters from the ground for greater comfort. Inside, a removable bin for waste.
Buying Guide: Everything You Should Know About Portable Toilets
As we said before, it does not matter if you have come here searching for extra information about this product that you already knew or if it is the first time you have heard about them. In this section, we’ve compiled the most frequently asked questions about portable toilets and answered them for you.
What exactly is a portable toilet, and what are its main uses?
As its name suggests, a portable toilet is a toilet that can be used anywhere. They are straightforward to transport and use since they do not need a sewage system or be connected to running water to function. Although, initially, they were only used out of necessity in underdeveloped areas, today:
- They are handy when we go on a trip to the mountains, camping, in a place where we do not have such infrastructure.
- They are also used in cabins, caravans, motorhomes, and boats.
- Another use that has become very widespread today is that of the elderly or people with physical disabilities.
- Also, some use them as a modern and updated version of the traditional urinals for children.
What types of portable toilets are there?
The increasing demand for portable toilets has led manufacturers to create different types that adapt to the needs of users. Thus, we can differentiate between:
- Simple portable toilet: the simplest models of all, but equally functional. They only have a tank with a surface to sit on and a lid. The downside is that they do not use deposits for decomposition, so they will have to be cleaned after each use.
- Composting portable toilet: ideal for those most aware of the environment. These toilets can convert waste into compost thanks to their decomposition system, usually based on sawdust and other materials.
- Chemical portable toilet: the most innovative. In this case, the waste decomposes thanks to chemicals that we pour into the toilet tank. In general, this type of toilet is usually emptied at gas stations or unique emptying points.
What are the advantages of using a portable toilet?
They seem obvious, but it is worth remembering them. There are so many that you will only become aware of all of them once you have tried them. The mountain adventure experts at Ticket Traveler sum it up perfectly:
- They are easy to use and convenient.
- They provide more excellent hygiene and cleanliness when we do our needs in the mountains.
- They are comfortable and accessible to everyone.
- They are very versatile and adapt to any situation.
- They are excellent value for money and practicality.
- There is a great diversity of different models to always choose the most suitable for us.
As you can see, with the advances that these articles have undergone today, they have little to envy the traditional toilets that we use at home. This is probably why more and more people are opting for a portable toilet when they will spend several days in the mountains or traveling in a caravan.
How do you install a portable toilet?
Installed as such, they are not installed. We must know the different steps we must follow to assemble our portable toilet and use it correctly. Take paper and pen, here they come:
- The most important thing is to think about where you are going to place it. It should be a flat, stable and safe place to not move while you are using it.
- As they are usually placed outdoors, it is highly recommended to clean the lid before sitting down. Thus, we will avoid any infection.
- Except if you have a simple portable toilet, you must add the corresponding materials (liquids, chemicals, or organic materials) in the tanks.
- Do your business.
- Except if you have a simple portable toilet, activate the cistern so that the materials come into contact with the waste.
- Empty waste whenever possible to avoid foul odors.
- Clean the portable toilet.
In the case of simple portable toilets, you must follow the same steps, except for 3 and 5. This type of WC does not have a decomposition tank, so nothing will have to be added. Of course, it will be essential that you empty and clean it after each use.
What are the liquids to use in a portable chemical toilet?
Of the three types of portable toilets that we have discussed, the one with the most “complicated” maintenance is chemical. We put complicated in quotes because it is not that complicated, you have to know well the products that we should use. To do this, first, we will talk about the different parts of this type of toilet:
- Sewage tank: the toilet as such, that is, the place where we do our business.
- Cistern tank: We will pour a pink liquid in charge of disinfecting and providing a good smell.
- Capacity indicators: to notify us when the tank is almost full. We can find it in the form of a small light or only a colored plastic.
- Trapilla: place where our needs go and where they join with the chemical products for their decomposition.
How can I get more privacy when using my portable toilet?
Privacy is one of the issues that most concerns users of portable toilets. Except when we use them inside a caravan, which already has a compartment for this purpose, we expect to place them outdoors. If we want a little more privacy, the best thing is that we get a folding cabin. These types of cabins act as a bathroom; that is, we will place the toilet inside. They fold and unfold very quickly and take up nothing, making them very easy to transport. Although they are sold separately, with different dimensions depending on the toilet’s size, we can also find models that incorporate them.
Portable Toilet Purchase Criteria
Once the theoretical part is passed, it is time to move on to the practical part. When we are about to buy a portable toilet, some doubts may assail us. Mainly because we want to be sure that we are choosing the one that best suits our needs. For the purchase to be a success, it is best to take into account the following criteria:
- Size and weight
- Maintenance and cleaning
- Additional features
Size and weight
The main objective of portable toilets is that they are useful to us wherever we go. Therefore, the first thing we should think about is the size of the toilet we will choose. On the one hand, it must have compact dimensions that facilitate its transport. But, besides, they must remain functional and practical.
That is why we also have to count on the use that we will give it or the people who will use it since a child will not be the same as an adult weighing more than seventy kilograms. Taking these two factors into account, we must find the balance between practicality and transport comfort.
It is also closely related to the use or the place where we will place it in the toilet’s capacity. We can find them with very varied capacities, from seven or eight kilograms to more than thirty. In this case, we must think about the frequency of emptying that we will have during its use.
While it is true that portable toilets are designed to be emptied quickly, there are some, such as the chemical type, that needs a specific point to perform this task. If we are not going to have a suitable place nearby, it is best to choose a toilet with the largest possible capacity.
Maintenance and cleaning
Once we have defined the size and capacity we need, the next step is maintenance and cleaning. As we have seen before, there are three main types of portable toilets, each with a different decomposition system.
Finally, to refine your search to the maximum and enjoy the comfort that a portable toilet can bring you, we must not forget the extras. The good thing about the passage of time and the growing demand for this type of product is that there are the most innovative models. Some have a paper holder or a folding cabin for greater privacy.
Although these accessories will not add practicality to the toilet, they will make their use more pleasant. And, if we are on vacation, the last thing we want is complications. And less with something as essential as doing our needs. Remember that you will use it daily, so it is not advisable to skimp on this aspect.
Although they have been around for a long time, portable toilets are revolutionizing the world of travel to the mountains and remote places. In recent times, more and more travelers use this type of toilet on their caravan adventures or when they spend a few days at a campsite.
And they are right because the truth is that with them they are all advantages. Portable toilets allow us to do our needs anywhere in a comfortable and, above all, hygienic way. And you, are you already sure which is the essential accessory that you cannot miss on your next getaway?
If you have found our guide on portable toilets useful, please share it on social networks so that others can enjoy it too. Besides, we would love to tell us about your experience with these products if you would leave us a comment.