The statistics speak for themselves: camping holidays are more popular than ever among the French. This is evidenced by the growing number of overnight stays in campsites, increasing steadily for years and will soon exceed the 30 million mark per year. The most important factor when it comes to camping is accommodation.
Modern campers have high demands. The tent should be waterproof and windproof and provide enough space and comfort for three people, for example. In the categories of tents for one and two people, the choice is vast, while the range is a little more limited in the case of a so-called “three-person” tent. If you want to know more about the three person tent, you can find detailed information about it below.
Comparison of 3 person tents
Coleman – 3 people camping tent
This tent from the famous American manufacturer is a so-called “dome” tent. Its most notable feature is the tent’s exterior, made up of a PU coating that is flame retardant.
With a water column of 3000 mm, this three person tent is waterproof even in heavy rain. It comes with a carrying bag as well as ropes and sardines. There is also a smaller version of the tent, designed for a maximum of 2 people and a larger version for four people.
- The most significant advantage of the tent is, of course, that you can put it up quickly.
- The tent is not self-supporting; you must use the ropes and sardines provided to anchor it. So you don’t have to worry about the tent blowing up even in gusty winds.
- The material is of good quality and can withstand heavy use. The seams are impeccable, do not fray or let in water.
- The Coleman 3 Person Tent has a height of only 120cm. It isn’t easy to move around there. In reality, it is only suitable for sleeping and not for staying during the day.
- Although it is very light with a weight of 4.9 kg, the 50 cm carry bag is still mainly due to the tent’s size, but it is still reasonable.
- Dismantling can be tricky if you’re new to tents. It takes some skill to put everything back in the carry bag.
The Coleman 3 Person Tent is ideal for anyone who wants a small tent that’s easy to transport. If, for example, the children want to spend the night in the garden in the summer, such is very convenient.
When the kids grow up, they can use the tent to go to a music festival or other significant events.
Naturehike – Ultralight 3 person tent
The tent belongs to the dome tent type and is designed for three people. It is available in white and red color.
The material of the tent is made of durable polyester fabric. The equipment includes:
- A flysheet.
- Weather protection with a water column.
- Permanent ventilation for a pleasant sleeping climate.
- When packed, the lightweight tent takes up very little space. This means that you can also transport it comfortably and securely in the saddlebag of a motorcycle or bicycle. Indeed, it measures only 45 x φ15 cm.
- Even untrained people can set up the three person tent within minutes without instruction because the poles are inserted into each other. The canvas is attached to the supports by hooks.
- The top half of the entrance is made of mesh fabric. This means that fresh air always enters the tent, but mosquitoes and other annoying insects stay outside.
- The seams of the outer tent are strong and waterproof. Customers say they’ve stayed warm and dry indoors, even after days of rain and thunderstorms. If stains persist after use, you can remove them relatively quickly.
- The biggest downside to the tent is the relatively small space it offers. If you are three adults inside with your luggage at the bottom of the tent, you will be quite stuck, but it will keep you warm when hiking.
- Another drawback is that the inner tent only offers one continuous sleeping space, there is no bedroom, but this is very rare for a three person tent.
The Naturehike 3 person tent convinced me with its good price-performance ratio. It is not very expensive, but it is much superior to the tents for three people that can be found in specialized stores.
Even in the event of continuous rain and thunderstorm, it offers you dry and comfortable accommodation. You can also put yourself in a compact sleeping bag for even more comfort!
Iregro – 3-4 Person Automatic Pop-Up Tent
We can consider this tent a family tent because it can accommodate 3-4 people, although it is not a group tent.
The unique thing about the tent is that it has a convenient sun shelter! You will be able to orient your tent towards the sun without any problem, thanks to this sunshade.
The tent has an entrance and three transparent windows with mosquito net. There is enough room inside to sleep.
- The tent has a quick assembly because it is the same operation as the 2-second decathlon tent. You have to launch and make a few adjustments afterward. It offers something that is truly a luxury when camping: sufficient space. The dome tent is designed for three people.
- There is always enough fresh air inside the tent through three windows and entrance so that even in hot weather, the heat does not accumulate.
- All entrances and windows are covered with a net that prevents insects from entering.
- The floor is sewn to the tarps of the inner tent so that water cannot get in. With a standing height of 1.30 meters, it is one of the enormous tents in this three person tent comparison.
- Folding can be tricky the first time around, but you understand the principle of its child’s play.
This dome-shaped tent is the ideal product for anyone who likes to go camping often. It offers a lot of space, and it is effortless to install.
At first, the disassembly may seem a bit complicated, but once you have completed it once or twice, you won’t need the disassembly instructions again.
The tent not only convinces its height, the windows and ventilation openings let in plenty of light and fresh air inside so that it is not stuffy even in hot weather.
Coleman – Coastline 3 Plus 3 Person Tent
This tent belongs to the category of tunnel tents. The outer and inner tent’s material is polyester, which is lightweight but very tear-resistant and breathable. The floor is made of 120g / m² polyethylene.
The three person tent has one entrance for the bedrooms and two side entrances for the living area.
The equipment includes a canopy where you can store bulky items such as a cooler or camping furniture.
The fiberglass tent structure, stakes, and a packing bag are included in the tent’s delivery for easy transport.
- The 3-person tent remains waterproof and dry inside, even in heavy rain. Unlike other tents of this size, it is not very sensitive to gusts of wind.
- The entrances to the sleeping cabin are fitted with mosquito nets so that you can sleep in peace without being disturbed by insects.
- Setting up the tent is easy, and even untrained people can set it up in minutes. It offers enough space for three adults, even over a reasonably long period.
- The included poles can sometimes bend, but you can tape them up or replace them later with high-quality poles.
Most buyers are pleased with the Coleman Tunnel Tent, a three person tent.
It offers enough space for a family of three, can be mounted easily and quickly, and remains warm and dry even in storms and continuous rain.
Tents of a similar design efficiently cost three to four times as much as those from this well-known manufacturer. Because this three person tent combines comfort, quality, and reasonable price, it is an excellent choice.
What are the different types of large three-person tents?
Among today’s camping and outdoor enthusiasts, 3 types of tents are essential:
- the tunnel tent
- the dome tent also called an igloo tent due to its shape
- the launch tent (tent 2 seconds)
In contrast, the tipi tent, the classic triangular shape of the tent, is hardly ever used as it offers little space, many ropes and tension stakes are needed for stability, and a tent pole is always in the path to the entrance.
This type of tent gets its name because the tent poles are mounted in several arcs parallel to each other, thus providing support for the tent.
Tunnel tents are particularly popular with families because they offer a lot of space. Due to their arched construction, adults can usually also stand inside these tents.
The walls of the tunnel tent are very steep. This allows the interior space to be used optimally.
Due to the construction, you can add a large awning to provide additional storage space. You never have enough space when camping.
What are the disadvantages of the tunnel tent?
The assembly of tunnel tents is more elongated because the poles are quite complicated. With a little practice, however, they can be assembled relatively quickly.
There are few 3-person tunnel tents.
The steep and high walls provide plenty of space inside but are also a drawback. The wind finds a large surface there to attack, similar to a sail. If it hits the broadside, the tent tunnel can quickly become unstable and be torn from its anchor. Therefore, when erecting the tunnel tent, it is best to set it up lengthwise relative to the direction of the wind.
Due to its shape, this type of tent is sometimes referred to as an igloo tent.
The poles converge in a star shape and meet at the top. This gives the dome tent an exceptionally high degree of stability.
If required, a dome-shaped tent can also be pitched as a free-standing tent without sardines or stakes. However, for safety reasons, you should securely anchor a dome-shaped tent. It can be erected relatively easily and quickly. This is the most common tent found in a three person tent.
What are the disadvantages of the dome tent?
While the igloo tent’s shape provides stability, it is also a downside as it limits the space inside. Even though a dome-shaped tent is designed for three people, it can only accommodate three adults with difficulty.
Also, only a small awning can be added with a dome tent, leaving little storage space for luggage.
This type of tent is also called a pop-up tent because it can be set up in no time. This is also its most significant advantage. Besides, pop-up tents are generally light and easy to transport.
Tent assembly and its disadvantages
Pitch tents have little stability and offer small space. For most tents of this type, there is not much height. They are only suitable for lying down.
Disassembly is considerably more complicated than the assembly. You have to practice packing everything so that the launch tent can fit in the carrying bag.
A pitched tent is right for you if you only want to camp occasionally and only want to spend a night or two in the tent.
What should you watch out for if you want to buy a good three person tent?
First of all, you need to think about how often and how you want to use your tent. If you only want to camp every once in a while, maybe to have a place to spend the night at a big event or for the kids to sleep in the garden, quality isn’t that important. The main thing is that the tent remains dry and does not collapse, even in gusty winds.
It is something different if you regularly go camping with your family. So it’s not enough to have a waterproof and windproof tent, but above all, a tent that offers enough space for people and their luggage.
How do you recognize an excellent 3-person tent?
Pay attention to how the tent is treated. With high-quality products, the seams must be protected against the ingress of water by unique fabric strips. A thick waterproof groundsheet protects from moisture from below.
One of the most important criteria is the waterproofness of the tent fabric. It is specified in millimeters of the water column. A tent is considered waterproof from a value of 1500 mm of the water column. The best products reach values of 5,000 mm water column.
These tents are also suitable for use in extreme conditions.
Package size and weight decision factor
When choosing a good three person tent, you should also consider the packaging’s size and weight. The smaller the package size and the lower the weight, the easier the tent to carry. From home to car, from car to camping, hiking, etc.
Comfort is also essential when camping.
If you don’t plan on doing a solo hike and are looking for comfort, make sure the windows and entrance have netting to protect you from bugs. Mosquito nets in front of the windows also provide the necessary privacy when camping.
It is better not to buy cheap products. You will quickly forget the few dollars you save with a wrong tent that lets in wind and humidity.
Also, the probability that you will have to buy a new 3-person tent within a short period due to a defect increases.
Where can I buy a cheap three person tent?
A tent is something that you certainly don’t buy every day. Many consumers still swear by buying from a specialty store, mostly because they get personal advice there and can pick up and review the products.
There are many advantages to buying online.
However, the number of those who buy a three person tent on the internet is continually increasing. There are many good reasons for this. One of the most important is that shopping on the internet is so easy and convenient.
Instead of wandering around a camping store or decathlon looking for a large tent suitable for three people, you can order from the comfort of your armchair. You don’t need to respect opening hours or closing days.
Another positive point is the vast choice that awaits you on Amazon, for example. The choice is more excellent than in the largest specialty store in a big city. Your order will be sent to you after a few days, often even for free.
Although you cannot test the three person tent in an online store, this is often not possible in a specialty store. Therefore, detailed descriptions of the products are available on the internet and information from our three person tent test.
Added to this are the reviews and opinions of other customers who have already had experience with the product.
This means that you are at least as knowledgeable as an experienced specialist salesperson.
Tips for the 3-person tent
Every tent is different. Even if you already have a lot of camping experience, you should try out the tent at home in the garden before going on vacation with it.
- No vacation without a tent test! Test in particular assembly and disassembly. Of course, it takes a little practice for this. Nothing is more embarrassing than having to ask for help from another camper friend because you can’t manage to pitch the tent on your own.
- When camping, it can always happen that the assembly instructions disappear or are washed out by the rain. After the second time at the latest, you no longer need the instructions anyway.
- If you choose a rainy day for a test set-up, you can immediately test whether the tent is also waterproof.
- Don’t forget to order spare parts!
- The weak points of many tents are the hoops and the sardines. Often the parts included in the delivery are only of inferior quality.
- If you want to use your three person tent more often, it may be worth ordering more stable and better quality replacement poles and poles.
- It is very annoying that a tent pole breaks in the middle of the night during a thunderstorm, and there is no replacement available. In some circumstances, this could mean the early end of a camping vacation.
- Careful disassembly pays off.
- It would be best if you also were very careful when dismantling the tent. It is best to clean it from coarse dirt. The more recent the dirt, the better it will be removed.
- When packing, be careful not to include any stones or sharp wood pieces that could damage the fabric. Before storing the tent at home for a long time, it must first be dried and cleaned.
- It is best to take advantage of a dry, sunny day and pitch the tent in the garden.
- Immediately repair small damage.
- You can take this opportunity to inspect the walls and floor mats for holes and cracks. You can order repair kits in specialty stores and on the internet to repair the damage.
- Do not store the tent until it is scorched. If you don’t, mold stains can form, and there will be an unpleasant mold smell in the tent.
3 person tent – Conclusion
Camping holidays are increasingly popular with the French. A good tent is one of the most critical conditions to enjoy your vacation, especially if you want to bivouac or trek.
To do this, you need a large tent, which must not only be stable and waterproof but above all, have enough space for everyone.
As a rule, it is not only the people who sleep in it, but there must also be room to store their luggage.
When buying a tent, one should pay attention to the quality. You will enjoy a good three person tent for many years because it makes them very durable and designed for continuous use.
There are different types of tents. If you don’t know which one is best for you, it’s best to use the internet to find out more.